You are here
Home > News > After a Week of Indifference, Buhari Orders Payment to Falcons

After a Week of Indifference, Buhari Orders Payment to Falcons

Social media sharing

…Chukwuma Dike

The President of Nigeria,  Muhammadu Buhari, has ordered the immediate payment of all entitlements accrued to  the African Women Championship winner, Super Falcons.  This is coming after a week of seeming indifference to the plight of the female players who have protested against their poor treatment by the Sports Ministry.

Protesting Falcons at NASS Gate after winning the 2016 edition
Super Falcons with former President Jonathan when they last won the African Women Nations Cup

Buhari through his Chief of Staff, Mr. Abba Kyari, who had earlier met with the protesting Super Falcons at Aso Rock gate, said the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, and the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, were summoned and ordered to pay the players on Wednesday.

The Falcons who won the 2016 Africa Women’s Champion two weeks ago,  have refused to check out of their hotel in Abuja unless their entitlements are paid by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

‎Kyari who spoke to the State House correspondents, said he summoned the officials  of the NFF and Ministry of Sports to a meeting at the Presidency.

He said: “The problem has been resolved. They have done us proud and we congratulated them. The ministries of Sport and Finance have been ordered. to pay them tomorrow (today).‎ I don’t know the details of the arrears but they have been directed to pay”.

The Super Falcons who had earlier taken their protest  to Aso Rock gate over their unpaid allowances, were addressed by Kyari.

The Chief of Staff to the President, who has been away from the Villa for few weeks due to ill-health, was on his way into the Villa when he met the protesting Falcons at the gate.

The players led by team captain Rita Chikwelu expressed their displeasure on the non-payment of their allowances.

Kyari had while appealing to the girls to return to the hotel, assured them that the government would resolve the situation in two days.‎

Social media sharing

Leave a Reply