You are here
Home > Media wrap > TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA

TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA

… Capt. Hashim Abdullahi 
 
 
1. ARMY: WHY WE ESTABLISHED MILITARY BASE IN DAURA, BUHARI’S HOMETOWN
 
The Nigerian Army Saturday said its decision to establish a unit in Daura, hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari, was in fulfillment of implementation of the approved Order of Battle 2016 (ORBAT 2016) by the Army Council. The Army stated that the establishment of the military base was to further enhance security in parts of its area of responsibility in 1 Division. Director of Army Public Relations, Brig-General Sani Usman said in a statement that the unit was named Fort Muhammadu Buhari Forward Operation Base, after President Muhammadu Buhari. Usman stressed that the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Tukur Buratai, unveiled the unit on Friday. The Director added that “the establishment of the new unit was part of the implementation of the Nigerian Army approved Order of Battle 2016 (ORBAT 2016) by the Army Council.” He said: “To further enhance security in parts of 1 Division Nigerian Army’s area of responsibility, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, has commissioned Fort Muhammadu Buhari Forward Operation Base, Daura, Katsina State which was named after President Muhammadu Buhari. “The establishment of the new unit was part of the implementation of the Nigerian Army approved Order of Battle 2016 (ORBAT 2016) by the Army Council. Prior to that, he was at the palace of HRH, Alhaji (Dr) Umar Faruk Umar, the Emir of Daura for a courtesy call”, the statement noted. Meanwhile, troops of the 3 Battalion, 22 Brigade Nigerian Army in collaboration with a team of members of Civilian Joint Task Force, JTF, yesterday, killed nine Boko Haram terrorists. The combined military and civilian JTF also rescued a total of 998 persons from the grip of Boko Haram terrorists, in Ngala, Borno State. The defeat of the Boko Haram terrorists came when troops and the civilian JTF embarked on a combined fighting patrol to the area. The development followed confirmed information about the presence of remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in some villages around Ngala.
 
 
2. CAMEROONIAN NAVY VISITS CALABAR, URGES COLLABORATION AGAINST MARITIME CRIME
 
A Cameroonian Naval Ship, CNS Le Ntem, has visited the Eastern Naval Command of the Nigerian Navy in Calabar with a view to strengthening maritime relationship between the two military formations. The ship berthed at the Nigerian Navy Ship Victory Jetty in Calabar, Cross River State, on Thursday at about 2pm. Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral James Oluwole, said the ship was on a friendly visit to Calabar to strengthen maritime relations. According to him, the ship represents the government of Cameroon in Nigeria, adding that both navies have been enjoying cordial working relationship along the maritime coast since 2013. The FOC said the Nigerian Navy, which had been saddled with the responsibility of safeguarding the maritime domain, would not relent in fostering cordial working relationship between both navies. He said, “I want to specially salute the efforts of the Cameroonian Navy for embarking on this journey with the aim of fostering cordial working relationship. I am seeing this visit as a sign that we want to work together. Over the years, the naval interaction between both navies has improved greatly. “Looking at your vessel and the visit, I am very confident that the collaboration will checkmate maritime crime in the Gulf of Guinea and beyond. I can assure you that the Nigerian Navy and the Cameroonian Navy will continue to work together to ensure that we deliver on our different roles.
 
 
3. NAF FIGHTER JETS DESTROY NEW BOKO HARAM LOGISTICS BASE
 
Efforts by the Boko Haram terrorist sect to rebuild one of its logistics base has been thwarted by Nigerian Air Force fighter aircraft that destroyed the new base. Director of Air Force Public Relations, Air Commodore Adetokunbo Adesanya noted that the logistics base was discovered by Air surveillance aircraft in one of several reconnaissance its mission to the Sambisa Forest and environs. Adesanya said in the statement, “On 16th May 2017, the Nigerian Air Force Component of Operation Lafiya Dole conducted an Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) mission in the Sambisa general area, as part of ongoing efforts to clear the area of remnants of the Boko Haram Terrorists group. “During the ISR mission, a black vehicle and some Boko Haram Terrorists were seen on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest. “A confirmatory ISR mission on 17 May 2017 revealed that the Boko Haram Terrorists are attempting to build a logistics base in the location. “Accordingly, Nigerian Air Force fighter aircraft were immediately called in to carry out strikes on the location. “Subsequent battle damage assessment revealed that some of the structures and vehicles in the location were engulfed in an inferno and destroyed.
 
 
4. MILITANCY: DHQ HANDS OVER TRAINING CENTRE TO NAVY
 
To enhance specialised skills of the Armed Forces and other security services, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has handed over the Joint Maritime Security Training Centre (JMSTC) to the Nigerian Navy (NN). This move was as a result of the threats to the maritime domain especially the creeks, back waters posed by militants in the Niger Delta and the riverine communities of Lagos and Ogun states. Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin while handing over the centre to the NN said it would ensure a more efficient management of maritime assets and capabilities in line with similar institutions such as the United States Naval Small Craft Instruction and Technical Training School (NAVSCIATTS). Represented by the Chief of Defence Training and Operations, Maj.-Gen. Ahmed Mohammed, Gen. Olonisakin expressed hope that the JMSTC would become a centre for excellence in maritime security for the West African sub-region. He said: “The idea of establishing JMSTC was mooted in the wake of the increase in sophistication and types of crimes in our maritime domain. It was conceptualised by the DHQ and the British Military Advisory Training Team (BMATT) and the centre was established in 2009 with the mandate of enhancing the human capacity of personnel of the Armed Forces in littoral and riverine operations.
 
 
5. SUICIDE BOMBER BLOWN UP AS HE WAITS TO ATTACK UNIMAID STUDENTS
 
Another suicide bomber was blown up at the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) yesterday moments before he could attack a student gathering on the campus. He was the only casualty of the attack, according to the police and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). Ibrahim Mallam Abdulkadir, spokesman for NEMA in the Northeast said the explosive which the bomber strapped to his body went off while he was waiting “for the right opportunity to detonate the bomb among students.” “Today, May 20, at some minutes past 10 am, one male adult suicide bomber hid in the bush within university community surrounding, supposedly trying to gain access into university where students are gathering,” Abdulkadir said in a statement. “Unfortunately for him the IED exploded and killed him. No casualty was recorded. The corpse was deposited at Borno Specialist Hospital.” The Borno State Police Command also confirmed the incident, with its spokesman, Victor Isuku saying: “Today at about 10:00hours, a lone male suicide bomber detonated explosive strapped to his body. “The bomber had taken cover in a ditch within the neighbourhood of the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) Children Secondary School, at the eastern end of the campus. “The bomber sighted security personnel coming towards the direction of his hiding place and hurriedly detonated his explosive, killing him only.
 
 
6. TI REPORT ON NIGERIA’S MILITARY SPENDING LACKS CREDIBILITY ―GROUP
 
THE Centre for Social Justice, Equity and Transparency (CESJET) has said the Transparency International (TI) report on 2015 military spending in Nigeria lacks credibility and should not be regarded. The group raised concern that Transparency International once recognized as a global powerhouse in the global war against corruption has now descended so low by allowing low heads and those with “political interests” to doctor its reports. Addressing journalists at the weekend, CESJET Executive Secretary, Ikpa Isaac condemned in the strongest term the report, saying it lacked any sense of credibility He lamented that with TI now descending this low, stakeholders in the social justice and anti-corruption war should be concerned. Ikpa said CESJET after due diligence and investigation has confirmed that the so called $15 billion as defence budget or expenditure in 2015 didn’t even exist in the whole of the 2015 defence spending under the President Jonathan administration. He wondered how possible a man can embezzle more than the nation’s annual budget, saying such could only have existed in the imagination of mischief makers who author fraudulent reports to please their clients. He said, “The true intent of that report is to be seen in its recommendation for arms sales to Nigeria to be blocked. The other demands that appear punitive, like travel ban are icing meant to disguise the call for ban on weapon sales,” he said.
 
 
7. EL-RUFAI ORDERS PROBE OF RIFLES FOUND IN ACCIDENT CAR
 
Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has ordered an investigation into the discovery of five locally made AK 47 rifles and a magazine in a car that was involved in an accident last week. The Nation recalled that, the fatal accident, involving two vehicles, occurred on the 12th May, 2017 at Mazuga, Kachia local government area. Meanwhile, Governor El-Rufai in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwan, said his government has received a briefing on the accident from the Kaduna State Sector Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps and security agencies were charged to ensure thorough investigation and diligent prosecution. According to the statement, “On 15th May 2017, the Kaduna State Government received a brief from the Kaduna State Sector Command of the Federal Road Safety Corp on the discovery of a weapons in a car that had been involved in an accident. The government has therefore directed a thorough investigation of the matter. “According to the Sector Head of Operation, Salisu D. Galadanci, the FRSC on 12th May, 2017 at about 16:07 hours received information of an accident at Mazuga, KM10, Kachia-Kafanchan road and it quickly proceeded to the scene to rescue the victims. “On reaching the scene, some people around the area had already started helping by bringing the victims out from the accident’s vehicles. Two vehicles were involved, an Audi Salon car AG 60MKR, one Opel Vectra car without registration. Of the seven persons involved in the accident, three died while four persons were rescued. Five locally-made AK47 rifles and a magazine were also recovered from the Audi car. “The driver of the Audi, Mr. Sabo Goni, was among the rescued accident victims. All the victims were rushed to Kachia Hospital. The Kachia Divisional Police Officer, CSP Faruk Umar, was alerted about the discovery of five rifles in the Audi car. The recovered arms have since been handed over to Kachia DPO for further investigation.
 
 
8. BOKO HARAM THREAT: SECURITY ON HIGH ALERT IN ABUJA
 
Following threats by Boko Haram to attack Abuja, security agencies in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, have declared their readiness to combat all forms of threat to lives and property by intensifying intelligence efforts, surveillance and raiding black spots within and around the city. The decision was taken; weekend, at an emergency meeting of FCT Security Committee to review the current security situation in the nation’s capital. The meeting, which was chaired by FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello, was attended by the FCT Permanent Secretary, Dr. Babatope Ajakaiye; FCT Police Commissioner; FCT Director of DSS; Nigerian Army (Guards Brigade & Garrison Command); Nigerian Air Force; Nigerian Navy; Customs; Immigration; NSCDC; Prisons, FRSC, NDLEA among others. The security chiefs noted with concern the recent threat by the Boko Haram sect to attack the FCT but said the threat was not being taken lightly as everything would be done to prevent attack on any part of the territory.
 
 
9. ARMY RESTATES COMMITMENT TO SECURE NIGERIA
 
Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai, ‎has restated the commitment of the Nigerian Army to secure the country, pledging the commitment of officers and men in the discharge of their duties.‎ Buratai stated this on Saturday in Kano when he paid a courtesy visit on the governor of the state, Alhaji Abdullahi Ganduje. “Insurgents and other criminals have been seriously degraded and the army would not relent until it ensures peace and stability in all parts of the country,” he assured. Buratai said that he was in Kano to round off a special military exercise “Operation Scorpion Sting (Harbin Kunama II)” in Falgore forest of Doguwa Local Government area of Kano state.‎ He said that the operation was launched in Southern Kaduna to address the problem of clashes between farmers and herdsmen, as well as ethno-religious crises in the area.‎ The Army Chief said that the first phase of the operation was conducted in parts of Kaduna, Zamfara, Bauchi and Niger Delta. He then commended the state governor for providing accommodation and 16 new Toyota Hilux vehicles for the army in Kano.‎
 
 10. TROOPS KILL 13 BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS, OTHERS ESCAPE WITH GUNSHOT WOUNDS
 
IN the ongoing clearance operation around the fringes of Lake Chad troops of 8 task force division have continued to hit the few remaining Boko haram hideouts and what is left of their logistics holding. Deputy Director of Public Relations, 8 Task Force Division Colonel Timothy Antigha said that in the last 72 hours troops operating in Chikun Gudu, Tumbuma Karami and Tumbuma baba have killed 13 Boko haram terrorist while many others escape with gunshot wounds.

Leave a Reply

Top