By Babatunde Opalana
International Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law (Intersociety) has accused the Federal Government of Nigeria, the British, United States governments and the Arewa Youths/Northern Elders’ Forum of masterminding the allege threat of genocide in the Igboland.
Intersociety, which made the allegation in a statement on Monday, described the alleged recent anti Igbo
genocidal threats and military invasion of Southeast Nigeria or Igbo heartland as “not only gravely dangerous but also from all intents and purposes; a prepared, predetermined and collectively endorsed ethnic and religious program prepared by the named.”
Emeka Umeagbalasi, Board Chairman of Intersociety, in the statement issued in Onitsha, said the group has previously stated that there are clear signs of genocide; primarily targeted at the Igbo race and their South-south neighbors, but secondarily expected to consume the entire country, if erupted.
Hence, Intersociety called on members of the international community to activate and operationalize their early warning system and preventive diplomacy over the looming genocide and its danger signals in Nigeria.
“We still make bold to say that if this is allowed to happen, not even the western musketeers who are suppliers of mass weapons at night and makers of peace/donors of humanitarian aids/funds in the day; will be spared. The humanitarian crises arising from the imminent Nigerian genocide will be too catastrophic and far reaching for them to handle or contain.
“We also reminded and still remind them of the histories of the intra State violent conflicts of the immediate past whereby those entrusted with formal control of instruments of violence; but got them misused and misapplied, ended up in exile or as refugees or in death with justice accountability for atrocities they committed or perpetrated against their own people in office placed on them while living or after death.”
It was alleged by the group that the Great Britain and other western powers including
USA have found Nigeria as a new dumping ground and big buyer of their small arms and light weapons (SALWs) as well as aerial attack and mass destruction weapons; adding that the Great Britain represents what the French government represents in the Rwandan crisis.
“Great Britain by its conspiratorial roles in the present military, genocidal and annihilative build up against the Nigeria’s oldest ethnic nationality with largest Christian population; was exactly what the French authorities and other western musketeers including the same Great Britain represented in Rwanda during its 1994 genocide. It is recalled that Republic of France was a leading complicit in the Rwandan Genocide; especially before and during the genocide.
“We had also warned that the United Nations and the African Union with all their humanitarian agencies and budgets put together would not contain and curtail the number of refugees and internally displaced persons and their health consequences and complications; if the country, with total human population of 175million was or is to be engulfed in genocidal internal conflict.”
The Board Chairman said the group expected the present Federal Government in Nigeria, headed by President Muhammadu Buhari to adhere strictly to the provisions of the existing Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, especially in accordance with its Section 14 (2) (b) (State protection of all citizens and provision of security and welfare to them) and Chapter Four, particularly its Sections 40 (right to freedom of association and assembly), 41 (right to freedom of movement and residence in any part of Nigeria), 42 (right to freedom
from discrimination) and 43 (right to acquire and own immovable property anywhere in Nigeria).
It also expected of the Buhari administration to beef up both unseen and seen security presence in all parts of Northern Nigeria, especially in the host settlement areas of the Northern Zone “where over 11.4million Igbo and other people of old Eastern Nigeria reside, work,study, worship or trade.”
He said it is sad that the reverse has become the case; leading to issuance of military fatwa and flooding of the ancestral Igbo heartland with battalions of soldiers and armed police personnel by the Federal Government, stressing that the latest military buildup in Southeast and South-south areas of Nigeria is a clear case of official issuance of further genocidal threats against members of the Igbo Race right inside their ancestral citadel by the Buhari Administration.
“As if that was not enough, the same Federal Government yesterday exposed its “genocidal plan B” by deliberately garrisoning and shooting in the direction and location of the palace of Prince Nnamdi Kanu’s father with military tanks and truck-loads of armed soldiers so as to provoke the disillusioned, disenchanted and angered unarmed supporters and friends of the pro Biafra movement leader.
“This was done for the purpose of provoking the youths into group and reprisal violence with sticks and clubs so as to find ground to massacre them and unleash widespread violence and genocide against innocent and defenseless Igbo population in their places of worship, relaxation, trade, mobility, meeting, etc. Citizen Nnamdi Kanu who the genocidal soldiers also reportedly attempted to abduct is presently on Court bail with his matter expected to resume on 17th October 2017.
‘Till date, it never and has not occurred to the present Buhari administration that it is steadily breeding another insurgency in Nigeria by its radical and militarized policies and approaches against the Igbo Race. Those obeying and carrying out Mr. President’s genocidal orders against the People of the Southeast and South-south Regions are also so subdued, deafened and conscienceless that they cannot strong advise the same President to stop henceforth from endangering the lives and security of over 174million people of Nigeria,” he said.