1. DSS ARRESTS FOUR BOKO HARAM SUSPECTS IN LAGOS
The Department of State Services said in Abuja that it had arrested four suspected members of Boko Haram at Oko-Oba, Agege, Lagos State. The suspects were arrested on Tuesday. A statement signed by the spokesperson for the service, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, in Abuja, said that the suspects fled to Lagos to evade arrest in North-East. He gave the names of the suspects as Fanayi Hassan, Butame Hassan, Kologoni Bukar and Amina Abubakar. He said that the suspects “fled to the state (Lagos) to evade arrest in the ongoing military offensive in the North-East.” On the same day, Opuiyo said that at Okene town, the leader of Boko Haram sect in Okene, Mr. Abdullahi Mohammed aka Huja, was arrested.He said that the suspect had been responsible for the co-ordination of Boko Haram activities in Okene axis of Kogi State. Also on January 1, at Mutum Biyu in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State, Opuiyo said that Bale Grema and Kolomi Adba-Aji were arrested in a mosque after they had fled Marte, Borno State, where they were alleged to have been involved in Boko Haram terrorist activities. Also on the same date, he said that a kidnap suspect, Amadu Bello, was apprehended at Hotoron Arewa, Kano State for his alleged involvement in a kidnap operation at Zomo village, Ningi LGA of Bauchi.
2. POLICE ARREST SUSPECTS INVOLVED IN SOUTHERN KADUNA KILLINGS
Some of the masterminds of the attacks and killings in southern Kaduna have been arrested, Governor Nasir el-Rufai, said on Tuesday. El-Rufai unveiled the names of the suspects when he visited the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Agyle Abeh. He vowed that government would ensure that all those involved in the attacks in Southern Kaduna were fished out and prosecuted. El-Rufai stressed that the administration would not condone any form of criminality and lawlessness in the state. He called on the people to embrace peace and tolerance in the interest of and development of the state. Earlier, the Police Commissioner paraded some of the suspects before the governor. Abeh said that the suspects were arrested for various offences, ranging from involvement in Southern Kaduna violence to armed robbery and kidnapping.
3. POLICE TRACK 11 ‘DEADLY’ ROBBERS RELEASED BY ABUJA JUDGE
The police in Bauchi State have arrested 19 suspected kidnappers for allegedly attacking some villages in the state and holding 48 persons hostage for ransom. Our correspondent learnt that the suspects were arrested in the Toro, Gumau and Ningi areas of the state between Thursday, January 5 and Tuesday, January 10. According to the police, when the suspects sighted the operatives, they opened fire which triggered a gun battle. It was gathered that some of the hoodlums abandoned their rifles and escaped into forests with bullet injuries, but 19 of them were arrested. Our correspondent learnt that three suspects were arrested in Yuga Forest while one was nabbed in Jimi village. One suspect was picked in Tama District, two in Ningi and three in Kundum village. Three suspects were arrested in Giwa hamlet, three in Ganjuwa, one in Tashan, and two in the Alkaleri area.
4.GIVE US N12M OR WE’LL ABDUCT YOU, KIDNAPPERS TELL ONDO MONARCH
An Okitipupa Magistrates’ Court in Ondo State on Wednesday remanded three men in prison for alleged attempted kidnap of Oba Williams Akinsayo, the oba of Ikoya. The accused, Dayo Agbeye, 29; Adedoyin Adeleke, 34; and Abiodun Ayeniberu, 32; of no fixed address were arraigned on a three-count of felony, attempted kidnap and attempted robbery. The Magistrate, Mr Banji Ayeomoni, who ordered the remand, adjourned the case till Jan. 26 for further hearing. Prosecutor Zedekiah Orogbemi told the court that the accused and two others at large on Oct. 17, 2016 around 5:00 p.m. at Ikoya via Okitipupa committed felony with attempted kidnap of the monarch. Orogbemi said that the accused and others at large demanded N12 million from the monarch or risk being kidnapped. He also said that the accused and others at large on Oct. 26 around 2:00 p.m. in Ikoya attempted to rob Layelu Microfinance Bank. The prosecutor said the offences contravened sections 516, 406 and 403 Criminal Code, Cap. 37, Vol.1, Laws of Ondo State 2006.
5. GUNMEN KIDNAP NATIONAL MIRROR CORRESPONDENT
A senior Journalist with NATIONAL MIRROR Newspapers, Olufemi Adeosun, was abducted by a four-man armed robbery gang who tied him faced-down under a bamboo tree. According to Adeosun, the incident which happened on Friday along Ife-Ilesha Road, about 10 kilometres away from the Old toll-Gate, was reported to policemen nearby. Narrating his encounter with the robbers to our correspondent on Tuesday in Abuja, after his release, he said he was fortunate to have escaped death. He said after he reported the matter to the police, he was simply asked if the robbers had tattoo marks or if any of them was stammering, which baffled him. He said, “On Friday January 6, my vehicle broke down along Ife-Ilesha Road, about 10 kilometers away from Old toll-Gate. As I was making frantic calls a four-man gang emerged from nowhere and dragged me into the bush, about a kilometer away from the Expressway. “They were armed with cudgels, daggers and a pistol. After robbing me of the N17,000 in my pocket, they snatched my two telephones-a blackberry classic worth over N100,000 and a small Samsung Galaxy phone. They frisked me, ransacked my pocket and got my First Bank ATM card. Before demanding my pin code, they tied me with my belt and underwear and lied me faced down.
6. 2 SOLDIERS, 2 CIVILIANS ARRESTED IN ABAKALIKI BOTCHED KIDNAP
Ebonyi State Police Command yesterday arrested two soldiers (names withheld) and two civilians, Mmaduabuchi and Obiefule, who allegedly masterminded the kidnap of an Ebonyi businessman, Mr. Igwe Kingsley Uche. The incident which occurred around 2:15 pm, took passers-by by surprise as the victim who went to eat at a joint on Ogoja Road was allegedly forced into a waiting Lexus RX 300 jeep by suspected kidnappers in Army uniforms The victim, who was dazed, decided to escape for his life by jumping out from the kidnappers’ car at a police point along Abakaliki-Enugu Expressway Explaining his ordeal to newsmen in Abakaliki, the victim said: “The hoodlums were on high speed along Abakaliki-Enugu Expressway heading to Enugu State. Luckily, I saw a police check-point and I jumped out of the jeep and alerted the policemen, who arrested them. “The kidnappers were taken to the police headquarters, Abakaliki where two of the kidnappers are being detained. The two soldiers and the two cars used for the operation: RX 300 Lexus Jeep and a Honda car, without plate numbers including two AK 47 rifles and one pistol were taken to Nkwagu Military Cantonment, Abakaliki” While commending the police for his rescue, the victim, however, alleged his unlawful and subsequent bail at the police command despite his travail. According to him, “my life was under threat and I don’t understand why the police are not straightforward with this case.” The state police spokesman, DSP Jude Madu, confirmed the kidnap.
7. S’KADUNA CRISIS: EL-RUFAI ANNOUNCES ARREST OF SUSPECTS
Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State has announced that some of the masterminds of the attacks and killings in southern Kaduna have been arrested. Governor el-Rufai disclosed this when he visted the state’s Commissioner of Police, Agyle Abeh. The governor vowed that government would ensure that all those involved in the attacks were fished out and prosecuted. He maintained that his administration would not condone any form of criminality and lawlessness in the state. He called on the people to embrace peace and tolerance in the interest of and development of the state. Earlier, CP Agbeh had paraded some of the suspects before the governor. The police boss said the suspects were arrested for various offences, ranging from involvement in Southern Kaduna violence to armed robbery and kidnapping. Abeh assured the governor that the command would not relent until criminals were chased out of the state and normalcy restored to all troubled areas. However, some Muslim clerics under the umbrella of Council of Imams and Ulamas, had called on federal and state governments to arrest and prosecute those responsible for the crisis.
8. ARMY REDEPLOYS 6 MAJOR GENERALS, 5 BRIGADIER GENERALS IN NEW SHAKEUP
A new shakeup in the Nigerian Army has seen six major generals and five brigadier generals redeployed to various formations of the Army. Also, the routine exercise which came barely four weeks after the promotion of some top officers had two Captains and a major reassigned. Although a secular to this effect was yet to be released publicly at press time, the document showed that the Chief of Staff, Tukur Buratai, gave his consent to it on Tuesday, this week. The internal memo gave the name of one of the affected officers redeployed as Major General M.H. Garba, who was redeployed to the Department of Army Corps of Artillery from Army Headquarters’ Department of Military Secretary. Mr. Garba, whose redeployment takes effect from January 16, 2016, also received the Chief of Army Staff Commendation Award. Also, the memo showed that Major General K.I. Abdulkarim, was transferred from Nigerian Army 6 Division Headquarters to the Defence Headquarters with effect from January 12, 2017, while Major Generals O.U. Obono was moved from Nigerian Army Corps of Artillery Headquarters to the Defence Headquarters from January 12, 2017. Major General E.O. Udoh, was also moved from Defence Headquarters to the Nigerian Army 6 Division Headquarters from January 12, 2017 just as Major General I.O. Rabio was moved from Nigerian Army School of Signals to Army Headquarters Department of Military Secretary from January 16, 2017. In similar vein, Major General E.G. Whyte was transferred gfrom Defence Headquarters to Nigerian Army School of Signals as the new commandant beginning January 12, 2017. similarly, Brigadier General I.A. Adegboye was transferred from Defence Headquarters to 82 Division Garrison as commandant with effect from January 12, 2017 just as Brigadier General S.O. Olabanji moved from the Nigerian Army 3 Brigade Headquarters to Nigerian Army Amphibious Training School as commandant. He resumes his new posting on January 12, 2017. Also, Brigadier General O.T. Akinjobi was moved from 82 Division Garrison to 3 Brigade Headquarters as the new commandant with effect from January 12, 2017;Brigadier General A. E. Attu was redeployed from the National Defence College to 9 Brigade as the new commandant with effect from January 12, 2017 and Brigadier General S. Mohammed was ptransferred from 9 Brigade to Defence Headquarters as the Deputy Director of Land System from January 12, 2017. The memo also showed that Major H.I. Mbe was appointed as the ADC to the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai . Also, Captain A.M. Dankabo was asked to stay put in the Chief of Army Staff’s office as L.O.; while Captain I.N. Garba will move from the Chief of Army Staff’s office to the Nigerian Defence Academy as an instructor.
9. BOKO HARAM BOMB TIMERS FOUND
The Borno Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) on Tuesday said it had discovered ‘’Count down Timers’’ used by Boko Haram terrorists to detonate explosives. The Commandant of the corps, Mr Ibrahim Abdullahi, disclosed this in Maiduguri in an interview with newsmen. Abdullahi said that the instruments were discovered by men of the Disaster Management Unit of the command at the scene of Sunday’s bomb blast in Kalari area of the state capital. “The digital timer countdown displayed served the purpose of allowing the planter of bomb or suicide bomber to know the time to explode his Improvised Explosive Device. “Since we now know what they are using; the security agencies would trace the roots of where these gadgets are coming from. “To this end, we appeal to people to be vigilant and proactive in their respective environment. “They should also assist the security agencies with relevant information to nip Boko Haram activities and other crimes in the bud, ” the commandant said.
10. 4 DIE IN HERDSMEN, FARMERS CLASH
The Niger Police Command said at least, four persons were on Tuesday killed and some wounded in clashes between herdsmen and farmers in Sabon Daga village of Bosso Local Government Area of the state. DSP Bala Elkalla, the Public Relations Officer of the command, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna on Tuesday that the situation had , however, been controlled. He said mobile policemen had since been deployed to the area to restore peace. Elkalla said the command had since begun investigation on the causes of the clash. He called on the communities around Sabon Daga to continue with their legitimate activities.
11. POLICE LAUNCH MANHUNT FOR FLEEING 43 TEENAGERS
A massive manhunt has begun for about 43 teenagers who escaped from the Children Remand Home along Welfare road in Ugbekun quarters, Ikoroha-Okha local government. The teenagers who were being held for crimes ranging from cultism, armed robbery, murder escaped after gunmen stormed the centre on Sunday morning and broke through the security to set them free. Seven of the inmates who refused to flee returned to the centre after the gunmen have left. They were said to have operated for over two hours before the burglary proof in the windows were torn down. When our reporter visited the centre, it was like a deserted place as only a few staff was seen around. Some family members of the runaway teenagers said they were at the centre to get information about their wards.
12. #BBOG DEMANDS ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY FROM MILITARY
Members of the #BringBackOurGirls (#BBOG) advocacy have demanded transparency and accountability from the Nigerian military on the financing of the counter-insurgency war. The group which said it understands that security operations are mostly classified, added that citizens believe a degree of transparency, accountability and disclosure is essential to gaining public confidence and achieving optimal results. #BBOG said it is not right that when soldiers are missing or killed in the war front, insufficient information is provided on number, name and identity of the victims. In a statement signed by leaders of the group, Oby Ezekwesili and Aisha Yesufu, as part of events marking day three of the Global Week Of Action to commemorate the 1000th day of Chibok girls’ abduction, said “it is necessary for our country to uphold the military tradition of properly mourning and honouring every one of our military men and women who are casualties of war with no exception. “Besides the tens of thousands of civilian victims of terrorist attacks, no other group apart from the Nigerian Army and intelligence agencies have lost more personnel in the over eight years old counterinsurgency war.
13. NAVY HANDS OVER ‘OIL THIEVES’, VESSELS TO EFCC
The Nigerian Navy on Friday handed over three suspected oil thieves and four tug boats to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Port-Harcourt, Rivers. Spokesman of the commission, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Monday. He said the move was part of collaboration between the Navy and the EFCC to rid the country’s waterways of illegal oil bunkering. He named the suspects as Damiete Kemuel, Francis Egbedi and Dum Nwineedam, and the vessels as MV Kessy1, MV Thames, MV Lolo14 and MV Lolo 20. According to him, the suspects were intercepted by officials of NNS Pathfinder at Abuloma following intelligence. “The vessels were said to have been loaded with an estimated 40 metric tonnes each of suspected illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil (AGO). “The suspects will be arraigned in court as soon as investigation is completed,” he said. This development is coming a month after the commission arrested an oil vessel off-loading products suspected to be diesel on Eagle Island also in Port Harcourt. Uwujaren had said that the arrest of that vessel, the first by the EFCC since its inception, followed high-level intelligence and surveillance by the agency. “Men and officers of the NNS Pathfinder, Naval Base, Port Harcourt, also offered professional support and facilitation of the operation. “The vessel, H.W. BECHMAN, an oil tanker, with Registration Number: 4014030, was caught off-loading products into a Tank Farm housed in the premises of NEPAS Limited in the Iwofe area of Port Harcourt,” he had said.