… By Nneoma Ndibe
On Monday, January 16, Boko Haram terrorists launched twin deadly attacks on the University of Maiduguri in Borno state.
The attack which was carried out by a seven-year old suicide bomber left a professor of medicine Aliyu Mani and four others dead.
Mani, Global Sentinel gathered died in a Mosque located inside the university while he observing the dawn (Fajr) prayer.
Below are the 9 things you need to know about the late professor:
1. Mani was born in Katsina town, Kastina state on Thursday 11 April, 1957.
2. He attended Kayalwa Primary School Katsina (1964-1970) before proceeding to Government College Kaduna (1971-1975).
3. After the completion of his secondary school education, Mani went to School of Basic Studies (SBS) Ahmadu Bello University Zaria (1975-1976).
4. After obtaining his basic studies certificate, the late professor gained admission into the faculty of veterinary medicine ABU, Zaria and graduated with the award of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine DVM in 1981.
5. The late professor went ahead for his NYSC with school of Agriculture in Asaba, the then Bendel state.
Mani worked briefly with Niger Basin Development Authority in Ilorin Kwara state before proceeded to University of Maiduguri as an assistant lecturer at the department of Veterinary Medicine in October, 1982 before proceeding to the Center for Tropical Veterinary studies Edinburgh UK (1984-1985) where he got his Masters and at the same school he later got his PhD.
He returned to Maiduguri in 1994.
6. He is also a fellow of the College of Veterinary Surgeons (2010) and through pair reviewer.
7. He is one time the director of UNIMAID Veterinary Teaching Hospital (1997-2000); head of department (2005-2010); acting dean of Veterinary faculty (2008-2010). Until his death he was the Director of UNIMAID Veterinary Teaching Hospital for the second time.
8. He held several positions in committees both within and outside the University. He also held a number of positions in the Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association (NVMA).
9. Mani is Happily Married with two children. He is said to be one of the peaceful lecturer in his faculty.