..by Maj-Gen. Leo Irabor
1. Inspite of the regrettable occurrence of January 17 at Rann, our troops have continued to gain traction by recording successes in our operational engagements. Before continuing the Brief, I request that we pay respect to those who died in that incident.
2. After the sad incident on January 17,2017, an emergency response team was established. A well coordinated response involving the Operation Lafuya Dole, UNOCHA, ICRC, MSF and Borno State Government was initiated. Helicopters and Ambulances from the UN, ICRC, Op LAFIYA DOLE and the Borno State Government were employed.
3. A surgical centre was established in Rann to help stabilize the wounded before being evacuated. The Commanding Officer( CO) 3 Battalion and the Medical officer of the unit among several other medical personnel from the Humanitarian Agencies were involved.
4. On January 19, 2017, a Federal Government delegation led by the Chief of Staff to the President, that included Ministers of Defence and Information, Chief of Defence Staff and Service Chiefs, paid condolence visit tothe Governor of Borno State, Shehu of Dikwa and Humanitarian Agencies at UNOCHA office on behalf of Mr President.
5. Similarly, on January 20, 2017 at about 1340hrs, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai accompanied by Army Headquarters ( AHQ) Principal Staff Officers ( PSOs) and General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, Brig-Gen. Victor Ezugwu, visited Rann, Kala Balge Local Government Area ( LGA). The COAS and entourage visited the scene of the incident and condoled the Bulamas.
6. The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj-Gen. Leo Irabor, equally visited the location along with the Maritime and Air Component Commanders. In all, the response was very prompt. “I wish to take this opportunity to appreciate the contributions and support of everyone,”-Irabor said.
7. Gen. Irabor also commended the understanding shown by the Government and the people of Borno during the trying moment.
8. The military command have constituted a Board of Inquiry to ascertain the circumstances that led to the unfortunate incidence.
9. So far, it has been established that the strike was a mistake. Statistics show that 112 persons died and 97 were wounded. The wounded are in various hospitals receiving treatment.
Major General Leo Irabor is the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole,military command and control center, maiduguri ,Borno state.