…Captain Hashim Abdullahi
- LET THEM MENTION THE PART OF NIGERIAN TERRITORY THEY ARE HOLDING OR HIDING; KUKASHEKA USMAN CHALLENGED BOKO HARAM AFTER RELEASING NEW VIDEO
Boko Haram yesterday released a new video, purportedly showing the execution of three alleged Federal Government spies on its operations in the Northeast. It beheaded one and shot two others with a Kalashnikov rifle. The sect in the seven-minute video also accused the three spies of working for the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) to infiltrate the group. Boko Haram in the video displayed a large cache of high-grade military weapons, including what appeared to be anti-aircraft missiles. The terrorists group also boasted that it has not been decimated as claimed by the Federal Government and remains in a place in Nigeria that the military could not “locate and recapture.” The video, which was in Hausa and Arabic, was believed to have been released by the Abubakar Shekau factional Boko Haram leader. The Army has described the video as mere propaganda that cannot derail its ongoing operation. Challenging the factionalised group to mention the part of Nigeria they are hiding, which cannot be recovered by the military, the Director Army Public Relations (DAPR), Brigadier General Sani Usman, in a text message to The Guardian dismissed the group. ‘’They are of no consequence. We are focusing on stabilization and consolidation of our counter-terrorism and counter insurgency operations. Now we have gone beyond the terrorists’ propaganda. Let them mention the part of Nigerian territory they are holding or hiding,” Usman said.
- NIGERIAN ARMY PROBES CHURCH INVASION BY ‘SOLDIERS’
The 23rd Armoured Brigade of the Nigerian Army based in Yola, Adamawa State, has commenced investigation into the disruption last Sunday of a church service in Yola by some men in military uniform. The men, suspected to be soldiers, were reportedly invited to the state headquarters of the Assemblies of God’s Church in Luggere Ward by a Reverend, Thomas Taro, during the Sunday service in an attempt to take over the church and remove the presiding pastor, Patrick Waziri. But the brigade spokesman, Adamu Ngulde, a Major, said the army did not send any of its personnel to the church and has commenced moves to track those involved if at all they were genuine military men. “The church told us that the men were not wearing their name tags. We contacted our officer in charge of counter insurgency as well as security in the town and he said he did not deploy soldiers to participate in any operation in the church. “Besides, no civilian has the right to invite soldiers into a civil matter like this,” Mr. Ngulde said. Mr. Ngulde said the military had already met with the authorities of the church and was looking for Mr. Taro who was said to have invited the said military men. Speaking to journalists on his church’s experience, Mr. Waziri said the development had to do with the crisis rocking the national leadership of the church at its.
- BURATAI INSTRUCTS GOCS TO SAFEGUARD NIGERIA’S UNITY, SOVEREIGNTY
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has instructed all General Officers Commanding (GOCs) of military divisions in the country to do everything in their capacity to safeguard the unity, integrity and sovereignty of Nigeria. He said this is a paramount task of their professional calling and constitutional mandate. The COAS also implored the GOCs to remain focused and committed to the security challenges in the North-east and other parts of the country by seriously tackling all security threats posed by insurgency and terrorism, among others. Buratai gave the charge on Monday in Maiduguri while declaring open the First General Officers Commanding Workshop 2017 organised by 2 Division of the Nigerian Army.
- BOKO HARAM, MILITANCY CHALLENGE ARMY’S CAPACITY, SAYS BURATAI
The Chief of Army Staff, COAS, Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has said the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East, militancy in Niger Delta and other criminalities in the country have challenged the Nigerian Army’s operational capacity to fulfill its constitutional roles. Buratai, who spoke yesterday while declaring open the First Commanding Officers’ Workshop organised by the Division 2, Nigerian Army, Ibadan, in Maiduguri, said Nigeria was faced with security challenges that had impacted negatively on the livelihoods of people. The Chief of Army Staff, who was represented by Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, said Boko Haram insurgency manifested the gravest threat to the nation’s national security. According to him, “the Boko Haram insurgency, militancy, pipeline vandalism, cattle rustling as well as kidnapping, ethnology-religious crisis, robbery and other forms of criminalities have constituted the gravest danger to national security, while also exposing lapses in the Nigerian Army’s operational capability and capacity.”
- NIGERIAN ARMY INTENSIFIES ATTACK ON BOKO HARAM
The Nigerian Army on Monday says its troops have intensified its routine security operations in an attempt to flush out the remnants of Boko Haram members from Northeast. The Army in a statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Usman, gave account of the troop’s achievement so far. According to him, the troops of 145 Task Force Battalion apprehended a suspected Boko Haram terrorist, Auta Abdullahi who tried to enter the country from Niger Republic. Although he denied his involvement with the terrorist group, preliminary investigation confirmed his membership with the group. It is in this regards that troops of 232 Battalion of 23 Brigade today conducted patrol towards Gombi, Guriki and Bobini towns in Adamawa State to prevent Boko Haram terrorists infiltration from some parts of Borno State. Similarly troops deployed in Garkida have continued to maintain blocking positions through patrols towards Jau general area to fix any fleeing Boko Haram terrorists. Other units under the Brigade have also conducted patrol to Wurolade village to prevent the terrorist’s infiltration through our border with Republic of Cameroon. While those deployed at Hong have intensified patrol at Mararraba Pella, Kalla and Shangui as well as Hong- Garaha road. Troops of 120 and 159 Task Forces Battalions of 27 Task Force Brigade have maintained aggressive clearance operations.
- ROBBERY OPERATION FOILED BY ARMY, ONE KILLED
Men of 32 Artillery Brigade, Akure, Ondo State have on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, foiled a robbery operation by a six-man gang on Ilesa-Akure expressway at Igbara Oke in Ifedore Local Government Area of the state. One of the robbers was reportedly out between the robbers and the soldiers, Punch reports. According to the reports, the soldiers who had been manning a checkpoint in the Igbara Oke area with the help of a vigilante group foiled an ongoing robbery operation along the expressway at about 1:45 am on Tuesday. Punch reports that the robbers stopped some vehicles on the highway, and proceeded to rob travelers before the security operatives arrived and engaged them in a shootout. One of the robbers was reportedly killed while the remaining five managed to escape into nearby bushes. When reached, the Assistant Director of Public Relations of the Artillery Brigade, Captain Ojo Adelegan, while confirming the incident, urged the residents of the area to help the police with any relevant information that could aid in the arrest of the robbers.
- BREAKING: SUICIDE BOMBER HITS MAIDUGURI
Reports say that there has been at least one explosion in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital by suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber. The attack reportedly occurred at the Muna garage in Maiduguri which was just recently attacked by the insurgents. According to a Facebook user Medan Oukoh, who also posted a video of what was left of the bomber, the attack occurred at around 2.15am, on Wednesday. It is also pertinent to note that, the Nigerian Army has been securing victories over the terrorists as it continued clearance of the terrorist group’s former hideouts in different places in Borno State. Just on Tuesday, March 14, the Army announced the takeover of a logistics base in Shirawa in Kala Balge Local Government Area of the state. The Army rescued 455 hostages and overpowered insurgent fighters in the process and many more.
- NSA RESTRICTS HELICOPTER SHUTTLE DURING ABUJA AIRPORT CLOSURE
The Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) has reminded aviation authorities of the restriction of helicopter ferry flight over Abuja metropolis for security reasons. The reminder which was issued to regulatory stakeholders through a memo titled “Restriction of Helicopter Ferry Flights over Abuja Metropolis” stated that: “In view of the closure of the (Abuja) airport, air travellers will be required to travel by road/train to Abuja from Kaduna International Airport. This will undoubtedly cause constraints on the movement of some passengers who will aim to travel using other means, notably the use of commercial ferry helicopters. “Please be reminded that the airspace over the Federal Capital Territory Abuja is controlled and only security flights or those with the requisite security clearance from the Presidency are granted overhead clearance for obvious security reasons. Consequently, you are to note and ensure that no charter or commercial helicopter ferry flights are allowed to fly within Abuja airspace.”
- FG CHARGES SEVEN BOKO HARAM LEADERS WITH MURDER, KIDNAPPING
A Federal High Court in Abuja yesterday ordered seven suspected Boko Haram leaders, who were allegedly involved in the kidnap and murder of 11 foreign nationals between 2011 and 2013 in the North to be remanded at Kuje Prison pending their trial. The federal government had filed an 11-count charge against the seven suspected leaders of the outlawed Boko Haram sect. They however, all pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them. The suspects, who were arraigned yesterday before Justice John Tsoho are: Mohammed Usman (aka Khalid Albarnawi), described as the leader of a Boko Haram splinter group, Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina Fi Biladis Sudan (a.k.a ANSARU); Mohammed Bashir Saleh, Umar Bello (aka Abu Azzan); Mohammed Salisu (Datti); Yakubu Nuhu (aka Bello Maishayi), Usman Abubakar (Mugiratu) and a lady, Halima Aliyu. The defendants, said to be leaders of Boko Haram before establishing their own faction, are charged with conspiracy, hostage taking, supporting a terrorist group, membership of a terrorist group, illegal possession of firearms and concealing information on terrorism.
- FCT POLICE NAB 20 ROBBERY, KIDNAP SUSPECTS
The Commissioner of Police, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, Mr. Musa Kimo, has declared an all-out war against armed robbers and kidnappers. The command has in the process arrested over 20 suspects and recovered illegal firearms. Kimo told Daily Sun recently, “The command evolved proactive anti-crime measures like aggressive intelligence gathering, mass deployment of police operatives both in uniform and plain clothes, and they will be constantly raiding black spots. “There will be stop-and-search to enable us to clamp down on criminals terrorising residents of the FCT. We are going after the criminals than waiting for them to strike. “Detectives carried out operations in Gwagwa, Nyanya, and Mabushi. They arrested suspects in connection with illegal possession of firearms, ‘One-chance’ robbery and shop breaking. “Surveillance operatives attached to Gwagwa Police Division arrested Adah, Daniel and Uche, suspected members of a robbery syndicate, with a barretta pistol. They have been transferred to the Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for discreet investigation. “Two suspects, Idris and Hussein, were arrested with two cartons of double-barrel cartridges and a pack of 525 cartridges carefully concealed in the cartons. The two suspects are in our custody. “Operatives attached to Mabushi Police Division arrested Obinna and Chukwudi, while trying to rob their passenger. The syndicate is a notorious One-chance robbery gang specialising in using kitchen knife to rob victims of their valuables. Eight phones of different make, N81, 200 all suspected to have been stolen from their victims, were recovered. Also, a dark maroon coloured Mazda car, with number YAB 828 BLT and a knife were equally recovered. “I have warned my officers and men to shun corruption. They should imbibe IGP Ibrahim Idris’ vision and mission on community policing, where police and the public will have good a relationship in fighting criminals.
“A suspect, Boniface, had threatened to kill his sister in the presence of their mother. Sometime in January, their mother left them at home for her shop. Later, the suspect left the deceased at home and met with the mother in the shop. The mother returned home but the suspect remained outside and was the last person to return home. “In the early morning of the following day being Sunday, the suspect got up and requested for transport money. When time reached for prayers, the mother called on the deceased to come out for morning devotion but there was no response. The mother went into the deceased’s room and found her lying dead on the floor with blood coming out of her mouth and nose. The incident took place at Bukansidi Lafia.”