You are here
Home > Media wrap > TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA

TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA

Social media sharing

…Capt. Hashim Abdullahi
1. NIGERIAN NAVY PLEDGES COLLABORATION WITH SWAN IN SPORTS DEVELOPMENT
The Nigerian Navy on Monday in Abuja pledged to collaborate with the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) to develop sports for the upliftment of the country’s teeming youths. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, made the pledge while receiving a merit award conferred on the Nigerian Navy by SWAN. Newsmen report that the award was in recognition of Nigerian Navy’s contributions to sports development in the country, both in the past and currently. Ibas, represented by Cmdr. Suraj Bello, Navy’s Director of Sports, at a short ceremony at the SWAN National Secretariat in Abuja, expressed regrets he could not personally receive the award.
2. CHINA GIVES $5m FOOD SUPPORT TO IDPS IN NORTHEAST
The Chinese Government has committed $5m to boost the humanitarian support of World Food Programme to Internally Displaced Persons in the northeastern part of Nigeria. The Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Zhou Pingjian, made this known on Monday during the presentation of 4.3 metric tonnes of rice to WFP in Maiduguri. Pingjian said that the support was designed to cater to the emergency food needs of the victims of Boko Haram insurgency, particularly the IDPs. He said that the Chinese Government had also committed additional $7.23m worth of emergency food assistance for IDPs, which would last until June this year.
 3. FG IN TALKS WITH B-Haram TO END SUICIDE BOMBINGS
Following the release of 82 Chibok school girls, indications have emerged that the Federal Government will initiate  fresh talks on how to end suicide missions with the Abubakar Shekau’s faction of Boko Haram and ensure return of normalcy to communities in the North-eastern part of the country. Part of the talks is to also free more girls still trapped in the sect’s custody. This comes as Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo said yesterday that the government will step up welfare packages for the victims as more details of how the Federal Government negotiated release of the 82 Chibok school girls with the leadership of the Boko Haram sect emerged, last night. A top source close to the deal, told Vanguard that the entire negotiation was done with the Abubakar Shekau faction of the sect, holed up in remote areas of the N-East. Although there were claims last week that Shekau had been fatally wounded by the military and one of his commanders killed in a deadly offensive, the top source confirmed to Vanguard that Shekau was fully involved in deliberations for release of the school girls.
4. AGAIN 15 DIE, SCORES INJURED, OTHERS MISSING AS HERDSMEN INVADE BENUE COMMUNITIES
NO fewer than 15 persons have been reportedly killed in a fresh attack on Tse-Akaa, Mba’abaji and Tse-Orlalu villages in Logo Local Government Area of Benue State by suspected herdsmen Sunday evening. Vanguard gathered from a survivor, who lost three family members in the attack at Tse-Akaa, that the herdsmen stormed the villages when most of the victims were returning home from Sunday evening church service. He said: “The well-armed men, who hid among their cattle, came from Taraba axis, through Abaji, Mbamar, Ugondo and all the way to Akaa village, shooting sporadically at market squares, killing and injuring anything in sight. “From the market area they moved deep into the villages and the people ran for their lives, but those who were not so lucky were killed. Now there is mass movement of the people fleeing to Ugba, the local government headquarters.
5. THREE DEAD, SCORES INJURED IN KADUNA CLASHES
THREE persons were feared dead and several others injured in clashes by youths in the Kabala West Nariya and Umuazu communities of Kaduna State. This is just as the state government, yesterday, said 18 suspects have been arrested in connection with the unrest. An eyewitness told an online medium that before yesterday morning’s attack, three bodies were found in the affected areas, and by 5a.m., some gangs had gathered for reprisal attack. The eyewitness said: “Where Christian youths are more, they are attacking Muslims, and Muslims are doing same in areas they dominate. Many travellers could not pass through the Eastern By-Pass, especially those going to Abuja and passing through Kaduna to the airport.”
6. OGUN POLICE COMMAND ARRESTS FAKE SOLDIER OVER ALLEGED MURDER
The Ogun Police Command says it has arrested a fake soldier who allegedly killed a petrol tanker motor boy in Abeokuta. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Ahmed Ilyasu, stated this on Monday while presenting the suspect at the command’s headquarters in Abeokuta. Ilyasu said the 49-year-old suspect, Tunde Olatunbosun, who allegedly committed the crime on April 29 at Leme in Abeokuta, was arrested on Friday. He said the incident followed an argument between the suspect and the victim, identified as Razaq, at a car wash at Leme. “On April 29, at Alaja car wash in Leme area of Abeokuta, one man named Olatunbosun Tunde, who brought his unregistered Sienna car to wash was engaged in an argument with a motor boy identified as Razaq. ”The argument came up over claims by the suspect that the vehicle which the deceased was working on obstructed his own vehicle. “All of a sudden, the suspect who was dressed in military camouflage knickers brought out a gun and shot the motor boy at a close range and the boy died on the spot.
7. RIGHTS VIOLATION: COURT ORDERS IGP TO PAY N1M EACH TO FOUR PERSONS.
An Abuja high court, on Monday, ordered Ibrahim Idris, the inspector-general of police, to pay N1m each to four men for violation of their fundamental human rights. The men — Ozor Okolocha, Elvis Obiaku, Edward Onyenoknone and Imoni Micah — hail from Ase-Omuku in Delta state. The respondents in the case are the inspector-general of police and the FCT commissioner of Police. In his judgment, the presiding judge held that the respondents in the matter refused to renew the order of remand from the court which elapsed after 14 days. “As compensation for the violation of their fundamental rights, N1 million should be paid to each of the applicants for the hardship and embarrassment suffered by them,” he said.
8. SOME CHIBOK GIRLS HAVE REFUSED TO BE RELEASED – NEGOTIATOR.
According to one of the negotiators between Boko Haram and the Federal Government, some of the schoolgirls, abducted by Boko Haram militants from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, in April 2014, refused to be part of a group of 82 girls freed at the weekend. After over three years in captivity, 82 of the schoolgirls were released out of the more than 200 students, who were still in the terrorists’ captivity in exchange  for some detained Boko Haram.
9. TROOPS RESCUE ABDUCTED POLICE OFFICER, THREE WOMEN IN NIGER
Troops of 133 Special Forces Battalion of 707 Brigade, Makurdi, said they had rescued a retired police officer and three women allegedly abducted by bandits and cattle rustlers in Niger. In a statement issued on Monday in Makurdi, its Assistant Director of Army Public Relations, Major Olabisi Ayeni, said the police officer, ASP Bahago Ibrahim, and the three women were abducted in Mangodo village in Niger. He said Bahago was shot by the bandits while the women were abducted at different locations in the state by the hoodlums. He said the forces achieved the feat while carrying out a clearance mission of hideouts of bandits and cattle rustlers in the state. The army spokesman said the soldiers, who acted on a tip-off, rescued the victims from the bandits who had stolen over a 100 cattle from the village.
10. LAGOS RECORDS 988 FIRE INCIDENTS, 242 ROAD CRASHES IN THE LAST ONE YEAR.
Nine hundred and ninety-eight fire incidents and 242 road crashes were recorded across Lagos State in the last one year, the state’s Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Oluseye Oladejo, has said. The commissioner disclosed this yesterday at a ministerial briefing to mark the two years in office of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode. Oladejo, who did not disclose the number of deaths recorded from the disasters, also said that property items worth about N16.62 billion were lost to the fire incidents, while the state saved about N99.72bn in rescue missions. According to him, in the year under review, two incidents of oil spillage, five numbers of gas explosion/emission, a mudslide case and cases of street light electrocution were also recorded. The commissioner, however, explained that the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and the state’s Fire Service were able to respond to the disasters promptly through the deployment of modern equipment. He explained that in the last one year, LASEMA has been able to record some modest achievements that include the commissioning of the LASEMA Response Unit and training of 700 emergency management volunteers at the Relief Camp located on LASU-Igando Road. “To further ensure continued efficiency and improve on the response time, a new dispatch centre was strategically located at Lekki, complete with a jetty to facilitate quick response to emergency on the waterways and for proximity to the riverine areas of the state,” Oladejo added. He explained that in order to effectively control fire incidents in the state, the present administration has approved the creation of four new fire stations in the state.


Social media sharing

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top