You are here
Home > Media wrap > TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA 

TOP 10 SECURITY RELATED NEWS IN NIGERIA 

Social media sharing

Capt. Hashim Abdullahi 
1. BOKO HARAM: I AM READY TO DISCLOSE SHEKAU’S WHEREABOUTS – ARRESTED SECT COMMANDER.
Abdulkadir Abubakar, a former commander of Boko Haram sect has claimed that the two factions of the insurgency group may be ready for dialogue with the federal government and that he is willing to reveal Shekau’s hideout to Nigerian Army. It was gathered that Mr. Abubakar, also known as Abu Muhammad, was the chief intelligence officer of the Boko Haram group and one of its top commanders, until his arrest in June by the military in Buni Yadi, Gujba local government area of Yobe State. Mr. Abubakar told the News Agency of Nigeria at his cell in Maiduguri that Albarnawi and Mamman Nur factions of Boko Haram were willing to dialogue and cooperate with the government to defeat the most visible leader of the group, Abubakar Shekau. According to him, Mr. Shekau, whose capture, dead or alive, the military high command has ordered, has been the major obstacle to peace, since the insurgency began in 2009. “Shekau is not willing to surrender due to his high handedness. Unfortunately, the government and military authorities accorded priority on dealing with Shekau, who is blood thirsty.  “Albarnawi has indicated interest to dialogue with the government to end insurgency and provide a lasting solution to the crisis. Albarnawi discusses this with members of his circle. And I can assure the government that he would cooperate to achieve peace. “The two factions are willing to cooperate with Nigerian Government to defeat Shekau,” he said. Mr. Abubakar’s claim about the readiness of the factions to dialogue with the Nigerian authorities could not be verified as he had been incarcerated since June. But he insisted that the groups are predisposed to a peaceful resolution of the eight-year-old crisis. Mr. Abubakar claimed to have undertaken various espionage missions and provided intelligence to the insurgents, which enabled them to hit a long list of targets, among which were the abduction of 275 students at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, and the massacre of students at Federal Government College, Buni Yadi. Over 20 students were murdered at Buni Yadi. He also claimed to have been involved in other attacks on schools in Maiduguri, Damaturu, Potiskum and Mamudo.
2. NIGERIAN ARMY WARNS MEMBERS AGAINST INDISCIPLINE, INTERFERENCE IN CIVILIAN AFFAIRS.
The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, Lagos, on Monday, warned soldiers against acts of indiscipline and interference in civilian affairs. The GOC, Maj.-Gen. Peter Dauke, gave the warning while addressing the officers at the opening of this year’s 81 Division Officers Combat Proficiency Competition at the 9 Brigade, Lagos. Dauke was represented by Brig.-Gen. Daniel Adeyemi, Commander, 55 Division Signal. “Let me use this opportunity to sternly warn that the division has zero tolerance for any act of indiscipline. Troops placed under your command are to discharge their duties professionally. “In addition, wherever you find yourself deployed on internal security operations, you are not to involve yourselves in civilian affairs,” the GOC warned. He also charged the officers to respect the rule of law and fundamental human rights of everyone. Dauke said the annual competition was organised in compliance with the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai’s training directive for 2017. He said that continuous training was a veritable tool for improving efficiency in any organisation, adding that the army was not relenting in its effort to have well trained and skilled manpower.
3. ARMY ‎OFFICER ECHOES CALL TO SAVE NIGERIAN LANGUAGES FROM EXTINCTION.
A Major General in the Nigerian Army, Lucky Irabor, has echoed the growing call for urgent concerted efforts to save the country’s indigenous languages from extinction. Irabor spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the closing ceremony of the maiden summer class of Onu-Kokome Ika Academy in Abuja. Irabor is the immediate past Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, the Army unit leading the war against Boko Haram in the North-East. The army officer who chaired the occasion, said government and parents had a critical role to play to avert the impending death of 6,000 Nigerian languages as predicted by UNESCO in 2012. “Government and other stakeholders need to do something very fast to preserve our languages and culture before they go extinct.
4. NIGERIA: RID OUR FORESTS OF CRIMINALS, ABUBAKAR CHALLENGES ARMY.
 Bauchi State Governor Mohammed Abdullahi Abubakar has again challenged the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to intensify efforts and flush out insurgents, kidnappers, cattle rustlers, and all other criminal elements seeking refuge in Bauchi State forests, particularly those fleeing military actions in Sambisa, Falgore and Zamfara forests. The governor, who threw this challenge when he received the General officer Commanding 3rd Division, Major General Benjamin Ahanotu at the Government House, Bauchi Sunday lamented that the forests that surround Bauchi State are gradually being taken advantage of by criminals. Governor Abubakar explained that his administration was disturbed by activities of criminals in and around the communities surrounding the forests, the reason which he said necessitated the procurement and presentation of motor cycles to the armed forces in the state to help them penetrate and flush out the criminals seeking sanctuary. The governor recalled that at the inception of his administration, some of the major security challenges rocking the state were banditry and youth restiveness in addition to the spillover effects of insurgency that bedevilled most states that surround Bauchi State. Governor Abubakar expressed happiness that with the combined efforts of the state and federal governments through the security agencies, the situation of the state has been smoothened.
5. TURKISH FIRM TO PRODUCE UNIFORMS FOR NIGERIAN MILITARY.
Turkey’s Sur International Textile is set to produce uniforms for the Nigerian Army as it plans to revive a textile factory in Kaduna, Nigeria, the Turkish language daily Dünya reported. Sur International, in cooperation with the New Nigeria Development Company (NNDC), a local consortium, will invest and resume production at the Kaduna Textile Limited, which was shut in 2002 following a financial crisis in 2000. Kaduna Textile, once a major manufacturer in Nigeria, was founded in 1957 and employed more than 5,000 people. The initiative came as Nigeria, Africa’s the most populated country, plans to revive some of its old textile factories that have fallen into disuse or have been closed due to financial or energy crisis. For the project, the Nigerian government has formed a consortium, of which 45 percent is owned by the state, 35 is controlled by Sur International and the rest 20 percent is owned by the facilities previous partners. The consortium will reportedly invest around $15 million to revive the facility. The factory will start operating next year and will produce uniforms for Nigerian military and paramilitary forces. Sur International has the knowhow and experience in producing military uniforms. It has been producing uniforms for the Sudanese army for more than thirteen years. The Qatari Armed Forces also joined Sur International Investment Co. Ltd. as a partner in 2013.
6. OWERRI MARKET DEMOLITION: IT WAS A JOINT OPERATION — ARMY PRO.
As scathing condemnation continues to trail the brutal murder of 10-year old Somtochukwu Ibeanusi, the 34 Artillery Brigade, Obinze, has said it did not come into the Ekeukwu Owerri saga on its own. The Brigade’s Public Relations Officer, PRO, Captain Haruna Timothy Tagwai, disclosed this, yesterday, when Vanguard sought to know how the Army got involved in the Ekeukwu Owerri market crisis. “Read my rejoinder. Again, it was a joint operation. The Army did not come there on  its own. We are part of the security of the state,” Tagwai said.
While saying that the soldiers and Air Force personnel were “deployed at the outer cordon of the entry and exits of the market to prevent miscreants from looting,” the PRO also disclosed that they were not close to the demolition site. “On all these, the heads of services were on hand to supervise the work. The army respects the sanctity of life and protects same as a duty,” Captain Tagwai said. Asked to explain why soldiers now force people walking along Douglas Road to raise their hands and sometimes, forced to frog-jump, the PRO said some miscreants had weapons on them. “Some miscreants had weapons on them. Therefore, there is the need for people passing to raise their hands for the safety of all. About those being flogged and frog-jumped, if there are pictures, it will help us discipline those involved because, no one is supposed to be molested,” Tagwai said
7. BOKO HARAM: ESCAPEE RECOUNTS ORDERAL IN SAMBISA FOREST.
Mrs Aisha Bukar, a 25-year-old housewife and mother of five on Monday narrated their ordeal in the hands of Boko-Haram insurgents, saying she, her husband, mother-in-law and children, fed on ‘weeds’ to survive. Aisha, one of the captives of the insurgents, escaped from their enclave after a military war plane bombed their hideout in Sambisa Forest recently. Aisha told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that she escaped from the camp with her husband, mother in-law and the five children. Recounting her ordeal, she said that members of her family were incarcerated for about three years by the insurgents in the Sambisa forest. She recalled that the insurgents abducted them while working in a farm at Talala village in Damboa local government area of Borno. She added that they had denied them food and drugs, following the refusal of her husband to fight for their group. Aisha lamented that the insurgents meted out inhuman treatments and abuses on women and children under their captivity. The escapee revealed that the insurgents compelled captives, including women and children, to be attending preaching and lecture sessions. Aisha claimed that hundreds of women and children incarcerated in the camp were starved to death, while many others died of cruelty in the hands of the insurgents.She also revealed that hundreds of other captives escaped from the camp during the military air strike, as most of the insurgents were killed or wounded.The escapee explained that they trekked for about three days before they reached Buni-Gari village in Gujba local government area of Yobe State. She added that the military had assisted in re-uniting her family with their relatives in Maiduguri. Also commenting, Alhaji Mustapha Bulin, the escapee’s father in-law, commended the military over the successes recorded in the counter-insurgency campaign. Bulin, who spoke in tears, said he had lost hope of reuniting with members of his family after they were abducted by the insurgents.
8. PENTAGON NOTIFIES US CONGRESS OF SALE OF 12 FIGHTER AIRCRAFT, OTHER WEAPONS WORTH $593M TO NIGERIA.
The U.S. Department of Defence has notified its Congress of the sale of 12 Super Tucano A-29 planes and weapons worth $593 million to Nigeria for the fight against Boko Haram. The move on the sale, which included thousands of bombs and rockets and was originally agreed by former President Barack Obama’s administration, was announced by the Pentagon’s Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) on August 2. According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the Super Tucano A-29, an agile, propeller-driven plane with reconnaissance and surveillance as well as attack capabilities, is made by Brazil’s Embraer. A second production line is in Florida, in a partnership between Embraer and privately held Sierra Nevada Corp of Sparks, Nevada. The Super Tucano costs more than $10 million each and the price can go much higher depending on the configuration. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney Canada PT 6 engine. The Obama administration had delayed the deal after incidents including the Nigerian Air Force’s bombing of a refugee camp in January that killed 90 to 170 civilians. But President Donald Trump had said he planned to go ahead with foreign defence sales delayed under Obama by human rights concerns.
The DSCA delivered their certification of the foreign military sale to the US Congress, as required by law, on August 2, according to United Press International.The twelve A-29s, equipped with wing-mounted machine guns, weapons integration with advanced surveillance… precision-guided bombs, and even air-to-air missiles, are expected to be used by Nigeria to combat the Boko Haram insurgents and other extremist groups, such as the Islamic State West Africa splinter group.


Social media sharing

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top