1. We are dismayed by the poor, insufficient and meagre response of the Federal Government and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to the flooding in Benue State which has resulted in the deaths of some people and the displacement of more than 100,000 people.
2. In response to this crisis, the Federal Government and NEMA have deployed an insufficient amount of emergency staff and relief materials to ameliorate the pain and suffering of Nigerians affected by this disaster.
3. Worse still, several reports indicate that NEMA officials rejected donations from philanthropic Nigerians on the grounds that they had closed for the Sallah break. During this period, several people were turned away from various Internally Displaced Peoples’ (IDP) camps across the state on the grounds that registration had closed.
4. This state of affairs is appalling and reveals the shocking insensitivity of the Federal Government and NEMA to the plight of Nigerians. As a result of the shockingly poor response, thousands of Nigerians are currently exposed to hunger and the outbreak of disease.
5. We urge the Federal Government and NEMA take more urgent steps in this regard by sending more relief supplies and emergency workers to the affected areas. We also urge the Federal Government to put a stop to NEMA’s insistence on turning some of the affected people away.
6. God bless Nigeria.
Charles Oputa Deji Adeyanju
FOR: Our MumuDonDo FOR: Concerned Nigerians