By Capt. Hashim Abdullahi
- NAF Refurbishes Disused Fire Trucks
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says it has made substantial progress in its efforts at refurbishing the disused fire trucks in its bases all over the country. The Director of Public Relations and Information, NAF Headquarters, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja. Adesanya explained that 17 out of the 24 fire trucks earmarked for refurbishment had been successfully repaired and handed over to the respective units. “The latest set of two refurbished fire trucks was handed over to 107 Air Maritime Group, Benin, on Oct 5. “Most of the fire trucks being refurbished had been parked for over 20 years as ‘beyond economic repairs. “The refurbishment is being undertaken by a local firm utilising Nigerian Engineers and mostly locally sourced materials and spares. “With the refurbishment of the fire trucks, NAF is now able to more independently provide fire cover for aircraft operations at its bases, thereby enhancing operational safety,” he said. The director said as part of NAF’s corporate social responsibility, the service was now better positioned to provide complementary services with regards to firefighting in the host communities. He explained further that the local firm had on Oct 7 commenced the refurbishment of another set of two fire trucks at 041 Communications Depot, NAF Base, Shasha in Lagos State.
- Two Police Officers, 1 Naval Personnel Arrested Among 14 Others for Kidnapping
Two police officers and one naval personnel have been paraded for kidnapping and armed robbery. The three officers were paraded after their arrest in Kogi state. Police commissioner Ali Janga said the police officers have been sacked and would face trial soon the commissioner of police in Kogi state, Ali Janga, has paraded two serving officers of the force as well as one personnel of the Nigerian Navy for alleged kidnapping and armed robbery. Reports confirmed that the suspects were among others paraded by Janga, who gave the names of the police officers as Corporals Isiaka Suleman and Ibrahim James. The naval personnel were identified as Bature Habila. He said the policemen had been dismissed and would be charged to court with the fourteen other suspects after investigation is concluded. The commissioner said the suspects were arrested within the two weeks that he resumed duty in the state. The Nation reports that Isiaka Suleman, one of the arrested policemen, confessed saying he was contacted for the job by one Francis Alfa, who is currently hospitalized. “I was serving with Zone 8 (Lokoja) Headquarters when I was moved to the Forward Operation Base (FOB) station in Tafawa Balewa LG in Bauchi when Francis contacted me. “When you are caught and arrested, you will be charged to court; I know the consequence,” he said. The police reportedly recovered four AK-47 rifles; three pump action riffles, assorted rounds of ammunition, a motorcycle and charms from the suspects.
- Geidam Visits Buhari, Says No Recent Boko Haram Attack In Yobe
The governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Geidam has on Monday made a visit to President Muhammadu Buhari. The governor during the visit told President Buhari that there hasn’t been any Boko Haram attack in the state in two years. He also requests that the Federal Government should resettle and rebuild infrastructure destroyed by insurgents. Geidam called on the Federal Government to refund part, if not all of N13 billion spent by his administration on the campaign against the insurgency.
- Tambuwal Hosts NDA’s Best Student, Urges Support For Military
Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal of Sokoto State has urged Nigerians to show unconditional support to the military, saying their sacrifices and dedication to duty has helped in preserving the territorial integrity of the nation. A statement issued in Sokoto Sunday by his spokesman, Malam Imam Imam, said the Governor spoke when he hosted young officers of Sokoto origin who recently passed out from the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA). He said the military as an institution has remained one of the enduring symbols of unity in the Nigerian federation. “No prayer or moral and material support will be considered too much for the military. The officers and men have continued to show exemplary professionalism in the discharge of their responsibilities,” he stated. While admonishing the officers, among who was Lt. Ahmed Buhari Bature who emerged overall best student, to show unalloyed loyalty to the constitution and constituted authorities, Tambuwal said Sokoto state was proud of their accomplishments. “We are proud of what you have achieved so far. You are following a tradition of excellence set by many of your predecessors who have gone through NDA and have gone on to make a name for themselves, their families, their state and their country. “You should be mindful of the fact that you are coming from a background steeped in respect and honour. Don’t do anything that will tarnish the image of your families and your state,” the Governor added. Tambuwal said the state government will continue to support Sokoto youths to achieve their potentials in life.
- Just In: Gunmen Invade Port Harcourt Market, Kill 10
There was pandemonium in Mgbosimiri and AGIP community in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State in the early hours on Monday after gunmen invaded a slaughter market in the community and shot dead 10 people including a couple. Confirming the incident to newsmen, the police public relations officer in the state, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni said the gunmen invaded the market at about 4:00 am and opened fire on traders who were mostly market women. The incident caused panic in the community as residents scampered for safety. Reports say the traders had slept over at the market so as to rise up early enough for Monday’s business when the gunmen stormed and unleashed mayhem on them. However, the police spokesperson who said personnel have been deployed to the area also said that the motive for the killings is not yet ascertained. He however assured that the force would do everything possible to bring the perpetrators to book.
- We Haven’t Encountered ISIS Terrorists In N’east – Army
The Nigerian Army has urged the public not to panic about rumours that the troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole had an encounter with terrorists of the Islamic State in the North-East, during which 30 soldiers were allegedly killed. The army said such reports were unfounded, noting that those people behind the news were “Boko Haram propaganda elements.” The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, and spokesperson, Theatre Command, Borno State, Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, said this on Tuesday, adding that the photos circulating in the media to support the ISIS killings of Nigerian soldiers were not real. Nwachukwu said, “It is very pertinent to state that contrary to reports, there was no attack or ambush on any convoy of Nigerian troops by ISIS fighters or any other adversary within or outside the theatre of operation. “The reports are mere propaganda and an attempt by the Boko Haram terrorists to remain relevant and portray potency. The graphic images used to support the report have been closely studied and found to lack nexus to any recent operational engagements of Operation Lafiya Dole. “Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole did not at any time have an encounter with ISIS terrorists, neither have they suffered from such fictitious attack as claimed. These points to the desperation of the Boko Haram terrorists group to create awe and hold the people captive psychologically. “Members of the public are enjoined to discountenance these mischievous reports.”
- Army Trains Officers On Operations Planning
Nigerian Army on Monday opened training for 50 officers in the “Operations Planning Cadre’’ to sharpen their skills, newsmen report. Maj.-Gen. Chris Jemitola, the Chief of Policy and Plans, who declared the training open, noted that the two-day training was fundamental part of every organization, including the army and charged officers to take it seriously. He told the training participants that “you must read about campaign plans of mighty men in battles and of renowned generals.” Jemitola said that was necessary to enable them to know how to plan and execute operations. He, however, advised them to be innovative as it was not possible for them to get everything from text books. He added that “operations planning cadre is one of the steps you must go through to get yourselves prepared. “The operations planning cadre is aimed at enhancing the operational planning skills of commanders and staff officers both on joint and single operations.” The policy and plans chief said that in planning operations, officers were expected to know much about the location of such operation, strategies involved, combat efficiency of unit or formation – troops, as well as logistics support. Earlier, Maj.-Gen. John Malu, the Commander, Army Headquarter Garrison, which organised the exercise, said the training was in line with Nigerian Army’s 2017 training schedule. Malu said it was aimed at improving the capabilities of officers, as well as the solders they lead. Officers from the rank of Lieutenant to Colonel are taking part in the training.
- Navy Arrests 67 Over Illegal Bunkering
Operatives of the Nigerian Navy Ship, NNS Beecroft, Apapa, Lagos, have smashed foreign syndicates comprising 67 members, which specialised in oil bunkering and other criminal acts on the territorial waters within the base’s jurisdiction. The suspects comprised four Pakistanis and 20 Benin Republic nationals. Also arrested were their Nigerian suspected members, majority of who are from Ondo State. The Benin Republic nationals were arrested at the verge of buying illegally-refined petroleum products from bunkerers. Recovered from the suspects were cash, in both local and foreign currencies, wooden fishing boats and petroleum products alleged to have been illegally sourced within the Western Naval Command’s jurisdiction. According to the Commander, NNS Beecroft, Commodore Mauris Eno, represented by the Executive Officer, NNS Beecroft, Captain Tajudeen Oshoba, showed that patrol team from the base arrested MV GLENNSTAR ship within the Lagos Safe Anchorage Area, on July 5, over suspicion of conveying product suspected to be illegally refined petroleum product. However, while speaking with Vanguard shortly before they were whisked away by officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the suspects denied the allegation. Most of them claimed to be Sea Chandeliers.
- Army Appoints Maj-Gen. Mohammed New GOC, As Oyebade Moves to NDA As Commandant
THE Nigerian Army has appointed Major General M Mohammed as the new General Officer Commanding 1 Division, Nigerian Army, Kaduna. Mohammed, who until his appointment, was at the Department of Army Standards and Evaluation, DASE, in Abuja, took over from Major-General A. Oyebade, was equally redeployed to the Nigerian Defence Academy, NDA, as commandant. The appointments of the duo, according to Army sources, were conveyed in a letter signed by the Military Secretary, (Army), Major-General I. O. Rabiu, dated October 8, 2017. It was gathered that besides the appointments of Mohammed and Oyebade, the Nigerian Army also redeployed some officers mostly in the rank of Brigadier-General. Those affected as gathered, include Brigadier-Generals J. C. Egbudom, who is now acting commandant Nigerian Army School of Mechanical Engineering (NASME), K. N. Garba, commander, 27, Task Force Brigade, U. S. Mohammed, commander, Headquarters 3, Brigade, A. Bande, Commander, 6, Division Garrison, O. T. Akinjobi, head Operation monitoring Team, office of the Chief Of Army Staff, while B. E. Etuk, remains as Chief Of Staff to the Chief of Army Staff.
- New Operational Base In Monguno Was To Dismantle Boko Haram – NAF Commander
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has said the new operational base in Munguno was strategic to dismantling Boko Haram from their stronghold in Northern Borno. The Commander, Air Component of Operation Lafiya Dole, Air Commodore Tajuddeen Oladele Yusuf stated this during a quarterly media briefing in Yola on Tuesday. He noted that the 171 Forward Operating Base would give the air operation an improved access to the terrorist hide outs in the area. He celebrated the success of Operation Ruwan Wuta which targeted several Boko Haram camps in areas including Parisu, Yale, Mongusu and Kote during which 129 missions and 180 sorties were conducted resulting in heavy casualty on the side of the insurgents. Yusuf indicated that the Force upheld the strategy of Search, Locate and Destroy to rid the Sambisa general area and Northern Borno of terrorist elements. On synergy with the Nigerian Army, the Commander disclosed that the Air Force identified targets for as well as provided guidance for the Artillery units of the Army to enable them achieve precision using the NAF’s ISR platform. He described the air operation in the third quarter of 2017 as an improvement on the last quarter in terms of number of missions and sorties as well as important targets hit by attack planes. Commenting on the NAF efforts to win the confidence of the civilian population in the conflict zones, the commander said the Force extended medical services including surgeries to hundreds of displaced persons in the area.