•Residents stone Yobe governor’s convoy
The United States of America has strongly condemned the abduction of scores of schoolgirls of Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.
It also expressed concern that the girls are yet to be found several days after their abduction.
The Spokesperson of the US Department of State, Ms Heather Nauert, at a press briefing on Thursday, said the US was yet to get all the details about the abduction.
“We are still trying to get all the details about that but we wanted to mention that we condemn in the strongest possible terms the terror attack on a school earlier this week in north-eastern Nigeria.
“The choice of targets including schools, markets and places of worship reflect the brutality of terror organisations.
“The victims in the attacks were girls who were simply seeking an education,” Nauert said.
She said the US extended its condolences to the students and to their families affected by the terror attacks.
The US also expressed its concerns that some of the students are still not accounted for.
“We continue to support Nigeria’s efforts to counter the terror group.
“We also support Nigeria’s efforts to enable more than two million displaced in the Lake Chad region to return home safely.
“United States continues to provide humanitarian assistance to those who were affected by the violence,” she said.
Dapchi residents stone Yobe governor’s convoy
The Dapchi residents still at a loss over the whereabouts of the missing schoolgirls, showed their disgust to the governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam when he visited the school on Thursday.
On sighting him, the crowd who had apparently prepared for him, threw stones at his convoy, injuring some of his aides, as well as government officials.
The security men attached to the governor had to use tear gas to disperse the angry crowd who also destroyed seven vehicles in the convoy.
Many officials in the convoy were seen with bloodstained clothes as they were injured in the attack.
One of the journalists in the convoy, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a cameraman was also injured.
He said: “We were in fear as the residents continued to throw stones to protest against government’s handling of the girls’ abduction.
“The angry residents ignored the tear gas as they vandalised seven vehicles in our convoy.
“From the little information that we got, they were angry that the Yobe State Government deceived Nigerians that the schoolgirls had been rescued when nobody was rescued.
Some of them told the governor to present the girls that were rescued.”
It was gathered that the governor had to leave the town in a hurry to forestall any disaster.