The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on Saturday said the ongoing air strikes on Boko Haram would continue until the terrorist group has no capacity to move as a force.
Abubakar was in Maiduguri to motivate the airmen currently engaged in the ongoing bombardment of Boko Haram enclaves in the North East.
He said the operations tagged “Green Sweep,” has no deadline and would be on until the military is satisfied that the objectives for it’s launch was substantially achieved.
Speaking to journalists after flagging off some warplanes attack on the terrorist hideouts, Abubakar said: “The operation is going on very well from the briefing I have received. The objective of the operation was clearly defined at the beginning. And from the brief received, the objectives of the operation has been substantially achieved.”
He said there would not be reprieve for the terrorist until the military was sure they have been incapacitated and could no longer move as a force.
He said: “We are going to continue to operate until we are sure that we have substantially achieved the objectives.
“The objectives are very clear and it is to further degrade the Boko Haram and make it difficult for them to have freedom of action from where they are operating from.”
“From the attacks on them so far, I believe we have been able to achieve what we set out to achieve.”
He assured the people living in Maiduguri that the threats of Boko Haram would soon be over.
LHe said: “The theatre is ensuring that the attack on Maiduguri stops but we are going to continue to support the theatre in all its effort at ending the insurgency.
“We are also going to support the multi-national joint task force that are conducting operations.”
He however praised the troops on the frontline for doing their job, promising that the Air Force would continue to support them in degrading the insurgents.