The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has urged the INTERPOL to urgently investigate the alleged ‘diversion of military funds’ by members of President Muhammadu Buhari’s family.
The PDP said the alleged diverted funds was used by members of the President’s family ‘‘for corrupt acquisition of 9 Mobile Nigeria and Keystone Bank PLC’’.
The opposition party stated this during a press conference on ‘‘the state of the nation’’ which was convened on Wednesday by the Director of Media and Publicity of its Presidential Campaign Organization, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan.
Mr Ologbondiyan said the party summoned the press to ‘‘address very important national issues bothering on allegations of diversion of military funds as well as a fresh plot by the Muhammadu Buhari Presidency and the All Progressives Congress (APC) to compromise the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to rig the 2019 general elections’’
He said there was need for INTERPOL to commence ‘‘urgent investigation into the alleged link between the reportedly diverted military funds and the N1.032 trillion said to have been used by President Muhammadu Buhari’s family members for corrupt acquisition in 9 Mobile Nigeria and Keystone Bank PLC.
‘‘The PPCO calls for an independent and system-wide investigation by the INTERPOL, Directorate of State Services (DSS), and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on the alleged links between the two funds.
‘‘This concerted investigation has become imperative following President Buhari’s failure to directly speak out on the allegations against his family members, as well as explain how they came about the sum of N1.032 trillion for the alleged acquisition.
‘‘We make this demand in view of public insinuations that the money may have been sourced from funds meant for the purchase of weapons for our soldiers.
‘‘More so, the Buhari Presidency has blatantly refused to respond to allegations that military fund is being used to finance President Buhari’s re-election campaign which even manifested in the use of military resources to produce APC’s campaign materials, including an electronic momento book by the Minister of Defence, Mansur Muhammad Dan-Ali.
‘‘The PPCO is deeply worried by the disturbing videos of our gallant soldiers languishing and being killed by insurgents due to neglect and failure of the Buhari administration to adequately equip them in the fronts.
‘‘The PPCO is also unhappy by similar videos, showing our soldiers protesting and threatening to retreat from the fronts, while grumbling against their neglect by the Buhari administration.
‘‘This should not be the way to go for our nation. Our soldiers are brave and have continued to show the highest form of professionalism and unmatched patriotism in risking and laying down their lives in defence of fatherland. Therefore, any action by anybody that is capable of reducing their morale in the fronts must never be allowed.
‘‘The PPCO invites Nigerians to continue to be at alert and give all support to our fighting troops as the fight against terrorism in our land must continue to be a collective effort. We therefore insist on this inquest and urge Nigerians to give their support in this regard.’’
Mr Ologbondiyan said the PDP Presidential Campaign Council demands that President Buhari responds personally to the allegations pertaining to the 9 Mobile and Keystone Bank alleged acquisition by his family members.
He said, ‘‘the attention of the PPCO has been drawn to a vicious attempt by the All Progressive Congress (APC) to use diversionary tactics to dismiss allegations of corruption hanging directly on President Muhammadu Buhari. The APC is attempting to dismiss revelations that family members of President Buhari’s involvement in acquiring substantial shares in both the 9 Mobile and Keystone Bank Plc that is worth over a N1 trillion.
‘‘We want Nigerians to note that the PDP had already challenged President Buhari to personally speak out on these allegations. We note that President Buhari had the occasion of the launch of his campaign in Akwa Ibom last week and his New year address to deny these grave allegations but he decided to shy away from it.