You are here
Home > Judiciary > Courts 'N' Cases > CCT adjourns Onnoghen’s trial till March 11

CCT adjourns Onnoghen’s trial till March 11

Social media sharing

The Code of Conduct Tribunal on Friday, adjourned the trial of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, on charges of non-declaration of assets, till March 11.

The tribunal chairman, Umar Danaldi had earlier insisted on adjourning the matter till February 21 in defiance to an agreement between the prosecuting team led by Ibrahim Musa and the defence team led by Chris Uche (SAN).

The March 11 proceedings are for the hearing of all pending applications by both the defence and the prosecution.

The pending applications include one by Onnoghen challenging the tribunal’s jurisdiction to hear the charges.

Onnoghen had earlier on Friday pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him by the federal government.

Speaking with journalists after the proceedings on Friday, Onnoghen’s lead counsel, Chief Chris Uce (SAN), said with the arraignment of the topmost judicial officer, “It is a very sad day for democracy, a very sad day for Nigeria.

“It is a struggle for the maintenance of the due process and it is a struggle for separation of powers.

“The CJN had to suffer the indignity of coming before this tribunal to take his plea.

“But we are happy that the world will now know the truth that there is more to this case.‎” he said.

Credits/The PUNCH


Social media sharing

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top