Godsgift Onyedinefu and Nosa Enobhayisobo
The Nigerian Army has confirmed that five of its soldiers were killed during a fierce encounter with Boko Haram terrorists in Magumeri, Borno state.
The Deputy Director Army Public Relations, Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Colonel Ezindu Idima who confirmed this in a statement on Sunday also disclosed that scores of terrorists were killed during the encounter.
He said the Troops of Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB) encountered the insurgents on Friday, 3rd May when they they came in numbers to infiltrate Magumeri village in order to loot food items and other valuables.
Idima said the terrorists’ plan were effectively thwarted through superior fire power of the troops.
He said, “During the encounter, the gallant troops exterminated scores of the insurgents and many escaped with gunshot wounds. A pursuit/ clearance operation has been sustained to deal with the remaining fleeing criminals.
“However, during the encounter the terrorists suffered heavy losses/ casualty. Unfortunately, five soldiers paid the supreme price,” he said.
Idima recalled that the Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) had in February launched Operation YANCIN TAFKI which has denied the terrorists freedom of action and access to foodstuffs and other logistics forcing them to resort to looting vulnerable communities and villages for food stuffs and other necessities.
He said the Commander Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Major General Olufemi Akinjobi has on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff commended the troops for their gallantry, resilience and patriotism.
He charged them to maintain the momentum and the successes achieved so far to ensure the final defeat of the terrorists .