You are here
Home > Human Rights > Boko Haram commander revealed organisations funding their activities–Army

Boko Haram commander revealed organisations funding their activities–Army

Social media sharing

Warns NGOs supplying food, drugs to terrorists 

Godsgift Onyedinefu 

The Nigerian Army said that an arrested Boko Haram commander has revealed organisations funding terrorists activities in Nigeria

This is coming as the Army again accused some Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), operating in the North East of breaching security and sabotaging ongoing counter terrorism operations in the zone.

The Director of Army Public Relations(DAPR) Col. Sagir Musa, in a statement onThursday,  said the military established this after the arrest of a Boko Haram commander, Mohammed Modu on Sunday.

Musad said the  Army had in 2018 leveled similar accusation against NGOs operating in the region.

He alleged that the high profile commander belong to the Abubakar Shekau’s faction of the terrorist group.

According to the Army Spokesperson, preliminary investigations revealed that the Shekau’s faction of Boko Haram had been receiving “humanitarian support of food and drugs supplies from some NGOs operating in the North East.’’

Musa described the NGOs’ actions – providing logistics support to terrorists, as “serious security breaches.’’

He, therefore, warned the affected NGOs to “desist from compromising Nigeria’s national security and war efforts against terrorism.’’

Musa advised them to operate in accordance with the extant rules and regulations guiding the operations of humanitarian aid workers.

He said they must also operation in line with the guidelines and procedures of International Humanitarian Laws, as well as the Laws of Armed Conflict.

He further warned: “The Nigerian army will no longer tolerate such acts of sabotage inimical to the fight against terrorism by any organisation or agency, and will not hesitate to sanction any such recalcitrant organisation as appropriate.”

Nigerian Army had in a controversial decision December 2018, suspended the operations of the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in the North-East theatre until further notice.

It had alleged that UNICEF had shifted from “its duty of catering to the wellbeing of children and the vulnerable through humanitarian activities and now engages in training selected persons for clandestine activities.”

“The Theatre Command will not tolerate this kind of sabotage from any individual, group of persons or organisation.

“We call on all Non-Governmental Organisations and members of humanitarian agencies to keep to their legitimate norms in the discharge of their acclaimed humanitarian duties.”

But Army bowing to public outrage that greeted the decision, immediately announced a reversal of the decision to suspend UNICEF from the North-East.

 


Social media sharing

One thought on “Boko Haram commander revealed organisations funding their activities–Army

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top