•More than 23 soldiers, two Police officers, two vigilantes killed
A security tracker report by the United States based Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) has revealed that over 137 people were killed with more 48 abducted in Nigeria in last one week ending on Friday, July 24, 2020.
The report, which was by coordinated by the former Ambassador of United States to Nigeria, Mr. John Campbell, also revealed over 27 security personnel including 23 soldiers and two police officers were also killed within the same period.
Below is the full report.
Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: July 18–24
Blog Post by John Campbell
July 27, 2020
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from July 18 to 24, 2020. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- July 18: A bomb explosion killed six children in Malumfashi, Katsina.
- July 18: Kidnappers killed two vigilantes in Gassol, Taraba.
- July 18: Kidnappers abducted six in Chikun, Kaduna.
- July 18: Twenty-three Nigerian soldiers and seventeen bandits were killed during a clash in Jibia, Katsina.
- July 18: Boko Haram killed three in Chibok, Borno.
- July 19: Suspected herdsmen killed twenty-one civilians and one police inspector in Kaura, Kaduna.
- July 19: A joint task force killed four kidnappers in Lokoja, Kogi.
- July 20: Suspected Fulani militia killed eleven in Zangon Kataf, Kaduna.
- July 20: Bandits kidnapped sixteen in Rafi, Niger state.
- July 20: A military airstrike killed “several” (estimated at ten) bandits in Talata-Mafara, Zamfara.
- July 21: Sectarian violence led to three deaths in Kauru, Kaduna.
- July 21: Bandits killed three in Batsari, Katsina.
- July 22: Kidnappers killed one police officer and kidnapped four in Akamkpa, Cross River.
- July 22: Boko Haram killed five kidnapped aid workers in Borno.
- July 22: Kidnappers abducted seventeen in Safana, Katsina.
- July 23: Military airstrikes killed “several” (estimated at ten) bandits in Birnin-Magaji/Kiyaw, Zamfara.
- July 23: Kidnappers abducted five in Jada, Adamawa.
- July 23: Fulani militia killed seven in Kajuru, Kaduna.
- July 24: Bandits killed ten in Jema’a and Kaura LGAs in Kaduna.