You are here
Home > Security > Insecurity: NASS’ Call to Sack Service Chiefs Not in the Interest of Nigerians – Group

Insecurity: NASS’ Call to Sack Service Chiefs Not in the Interest of Nigerians – Group

Social media sharing

Godsgift Onyedinefu

The Civil Society Organization in defence of National Security, on Friday said the call by the National Assembly to sack the service chiefs due to the spate of insecurity in the country, is inappropriate and not in the interest of the Nigerian Citizens.

The Senate had in July asked Nigeria’s military chiefs to step aside to enable a new set with new ideas tackle insecurity across the country.

The group alleged that the National Assembly may have been misled to take the decision.

The national coordinator of the group, Comrade Joe Mesele, who said this during a solidarity walk at the unity fountain in Abuja, said there is no need to change the security chiefs as they are “already winning the war against insecurity.” According to him the key to addressing all forms of criminality bedevilling the country is not in changing the service chiefs

“It is not enough for us to join the agenda if others who are saying daily that there is a need for us to change security chiefs. The current security chiefs have tried so far and they are winning the war,

“We recall where we were four years ago and where we are now. Though we have not won the war completely, we are winning the war. It is on this fact that we are calling on Nigerians to rally around security men so that they can succeed.

“The National Assembly can actually be misled and because of people misleading them they can take decision that may not be in our interest.

Mesele therefore called on the NASS to look at the issue and speak to it appropriately so that the Nigeria security can be guaranteed.

“It is our belief that the National Assembly can do the right thing by looking into the issue and advice Mr. president appropriately and we believe as a civil group that the appropriate thing to do is to do the needful”, he added.

The coordinator further expressed confidence that president Muhammadu Buhari, being a retired general, is conscious of the security situation and knows what to do.

Mesele further alleged plot by some Nigerians to distabilize the national security, because of their hatred for President Muhammadu Buhari.

He urged Nigerians not abuse the freedom of expression to pull down the country, but rather be patriotic and desist from reckless comments for the sake of peace and development of Nigeria.

He said those on trial are the double-dealing political, religious and ethnic jingoists who are hell bent in destroying our national security fabric to advance their selfish interests.

The coordinator called on government and the military high command to look into every issue that might brew discontent within the ranks to ensure that enemies of the state will not infiltrate our cherished institution.

Mesele called on Nigerians to support to the government of President Buhari and all security agencies, explaining that it will go a long way in countering the negative perceptions in the media and boosting the morale and fighting spirit of the gallant men and women who are on the frontline.


Social media sharing

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top