You are here
Home > Security > Military/Defence > Again, Boko Haram Attacks Gov Zulum’s Convoy, 7 Soldiers, 2 Civilian JTF Killed

Again, Boko Haram Attacks Gov Zulum’s Convoy, 7 Soldiers, 2 Civilian JTF Killed

Social media sharing

*This is the 4th attack in matter of months

Mukaila Ola in Maiduguri

For the fourth time since assumption of office, the convoy of Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum was on Saturday attacked by Boko Haram.

The latest attack, according to security sources claimed the lives of seven soldiers and two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF).

According to the source, those in the attacked convoy were military and security officers who were to provide support for the governor who flew from Maiduguri in a helicopter to Baga.

Also in the convoy were civilians who were on the trip to join up with the governor to campaign towards the forthcoming local government election in the state scheduled for next Saturday.

The governor was also expected to distribute relief materials to people in the Baga area.

The source, who spoke anonymously to our correspondent, said the convoy was attacked along Gajiram to Monguno road.

It was gathered that the convoy was on its way to Baga in Kukawa Local Government area as a security detail to Zulum, who had planned to spend two days with other government officials in the town to distribute relief items to newly settled IDPs.

The governor had earlier flown into the town with a helicopter, was said to have cut short his trip and return back to Maiduguri because of the incident on Saturday.

One of those in convoy, who was lucky to escape being killed, said: “We were attacked by the gunmen who came with about six trucks and seven motorcycles. We engaged them but we lost some of our guys.”

He said: “We had no option than to abort the trip and returned back to Maiduguri with corpses of the deceased. About seven people died immediately but two of my colleagues (soldiers) died from gunshot injuries when we got back to Maiduguri.”

He added that: “In all, nine security men were killed in the attack.”

Attempts to get official confirmation from government, military and security officials were unsuccessful as the known spokespersons did not pick their calls neither reply to messages sent to the mobile lines.


Social media sharing

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top